7.11.2013

Ugh, I Forgot my Phone

So the most annoying thing happened today. Two of my friends from my painting class, Ashton and Kelsey, and I made plans for me to come over to their apartment after dinner tonight. I got directions and their phone numbers through Facebook and took a 30 minute metro ride to their neighborhood. I find their apartment and get into my purse to call them so they could let me into the building. Welp I forgot my French phone. I had my iphone but it is useless to contact people unless I have wifi. I waited outside of the door, knocked, and pressed random buttons on the code key pad for 20 minutes and decided to go back home. I was soo mad at myself for leaving my phone. When I got back to my room, I had 7 missed calls, two texts, and one Facebook message from them saying that they hoped I was still alive. I should've gotten there an hour and a few minutes before I could respond to them.

It all worked out though. We might hang out during the festivities this weekend for Bastille Day which is like the French 4th of July (I have heard the French don't actually call it Bastille Day) I'm just glad I didn't get lost and had forgotten my phone. 

Today I had a photography assignment due and my first painting was due and we had our first class critique. Everyone's paintings turned out so different and it was fun seeing all of them! Mine turned out better than I expected and for the most part, the rest of the class enjoyed it. We went to the Pompidou which is an awesome modern art museum. I had been once before but I don't know much about art history so I didn't appreciate it as much last time. I loved hearing our professor get so into the art and the stories. I asked him to explain some to me because I have no idea what a lot of those crazy sculptures and paintings mean. He really loves what he does. And he puts out such great energy. If we say we like something, he always asks why. And I love that. Our next paintings are going to be more abstract with colors and lines. I'm kind of realistic when it comes to painting so the next few will be a challenge.
The ISA basement part of the office is like a well lit cave. The door ways are just made of stone and even I have to duck while going through them. I like the space. You can see it behind me in the picture above. 

It had been so hot and humid here that I have just given up on trying to not look like a hideous tourist. My hair is just a mess from the humidity. I know it isn't as hot as in the US right now, but there is no air conditioning anywhere here! Most of the buildings are hotter than outside! And drinks here are scarce and never super cold. The metro is so hot, too. I have never sweated like this before. That is so gross but especially in the metro, I see my reflection in the window and my whole forehead is glistening from sweat. Sick. I hate the heat and will avoid coming back to France during July for one reason only, this weather. 

But, I am have a fabulous time other than being so hot. It is hard to complain when I am surrounded by great people and a beautiful city. 

Tomorrow I am off to Versailles! 

Bonne nuit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment